Keep reading this best travel litter box, or portable litter box, reviews and you will find what you need at hand.
Let us guess …
You are planning to travel with your lovely cats or at least, take them out for a long journey. Then, you should always keep in mind that cats are sensitive, especially when doing their natural duty. Accordingly, they usually want to sit on their own litter box. Thus, you had better invest a portable litter box to get on the go.
Fortunately, we give complete reviews on the best travel litter boxes right at your fingertips so that you do not need to search all around.
Check them all out!
What’s the best travel litter box?
- Necoichi Pop-up Portable Cat Litter Box
- IRIS Travel Cat Litter Pan, Yellow
- Petsfit Fabric Portable/Foldable Litter Box
- Pet Fit For Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box & Water Bowl
- Petpeppy.com Portable Cat Litter Carrier
- petisfam Sturdy Cat Travel Litter Box
- Petleader Collapsible Portable Cat Litter Box
Best Travel Litter Box: A List of 7 Reviews
- Dimensions: 15 x 5.1 x 11 inches large
- Recommended for: Emergencies, travel, or car rides
Overall of the Necoichi Pop-up Portable Cat Litter Box:
- Compact shape and size – ideal as a travel litter tray
- The raised-lip construction to prevent leaks or odors from getting through during the cat’s duty
- The water-resistant liner for easy and quick cleaning
- High box sides to avoid messy tracking and litter spill
- Foldable construction and snaps to transport conveniently in bags
- Modern and clean colors
Ideal for traveling
This is built with a travel litter box airplane tool in mind. The box is just somewhere around 1lb, so it will not add too much weight to your luggage. Even better, the box features a foldable design to put conveniently into your backpack.
On being expanded, the litter box is as large as 15 x 5.1 x 11 inches. This size is ideal for kittens and small cats to play and complete their business comfortably.
The raised lips to keep your carpets and floor saved from the water leaks and odorless.
Easy of use
At a glance, you can already figure out that the Necoichi Pop-up Portable Cat Litter Box is easy to use.
- First off, fold the box securely with snaps. When needed, just free the snaps and put the liner into the box.
- Then, place it into the corner of the room.
- Next, pour your cat’s favorite litter in and the box is ready under the use of your pets.
Effortless to clean
The inside of the box is waterproof, meaning you can hand-wash it with a damp cloth. We suggest using the liners so that the footbed fabric will have no contact with the waste – it will reduce odor and cleaning effort later.
Drawback: Undurable wire on and bottom
In drawback, we find that the wire-on frame is far from sturdy that it can collapse easily if your cats are too naughty when doing her business. Also, the bottom seems not durable enough. This litter cat can leak after several transportations.
- Lightweight and compact
- For kitten and small cats
- Easy to use and clean
- Nondurable bottom
- Loose wire on
- Easy to get dirt without liner
- Unfolded dimensions: 15.5 x 15.5 x 4 inches
- Folded dimensions: 12 x 11 W x 2 inches
- Origin: The USA
- Recommended for: Travel litter boxes
Overall of the IRIS Travel Cat Litter Pan:
- A pan design with a zipper top. Once it is locked, no mess will be allowed
- Compact size and light-weight canvas for easy storage and transportation
- The inside PVC construction that prevents leaks
- Only one color and without scoop included
Cute shape for cute cat
The full size of the IRIS Travel Cat Litter Pan is similar to the Necoichi Pop-up Portable, however, the earlier is in a round shape. As a result, your kittens or small pets can sit comfortably within the box.
Moreover, there are no linear and snaps. Thus, the IRIS box is even lighter and more transportable.
Quality and sealable fabric, with PVC interiors
The outer layer is canvas, which is sealable and durable over time. On top of the pan, there is a zip to secure the clean litter inside the box. Straps are also available on each side so that you can transport even when the box is filled.
Also, the inner body is coated with PVC. This material is water-resistant so that you can clean the litter box with ease.
With a pan design, the side walls are very low. Meanwhile, the canvas material is somewhat soft. Consequently, your naughty cats can cause accidents like spills or collapses.
At that time, you might end up cleaning a messy room.
The round shape allows less space for your cat, especially when it is an adult cat or two small cats at the same time.
The yellow color looks kind of cute at a glance. However, it is prone to dirt easily. Moreover, there is no liner like the Necoichi Pop-up Portable. Thus, cat waste can stick to the walls or bottoms, making it harder to clean afterward.
- Easy to transport and storage
- Lightweight and durable canvas
- Straightforward-to-clean canvas
- No mess with the zipped design
- Yellow color
- Small size
- Low sidewalls
Here comes another alternative for a travel litter box for kittens or multiple small cats. Even more, a large XL size is available.
- Size L: 15.7 x 14.0 x 4.7 inches (unfolded) and 8 x 5 x 2 inches (folded)
- Size XL: 18.5 x 14.5 x 5.5 inches and 10 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches (folded)
- Recommended for: Portable litter box for travel in almost every means of transport, even during walking or traveling trips
The concept of the Petsfit Fabric Portable/Foldable Litter Box:
- Black color for a clean and tidy look
- Collapsible canvas so that you can store and carry it out in a breeze
- A comfortable bed for even the most sensitive cats
- Flatpack included, so you can install the box with ease
- Waterproof material which fastens the cleaning
Flexible options of size
Whether you have small kittens or fat and big cat, you can still go for the Petsfit Fabric Portable/Foldable Litter Box.
The manufacturer offers two different sizes to fit your demand. Both are compact as travel litter boxes. They can even be folded as small as your smartphone so that you can settle them soundly in your luggage or backpack.
When being used, you just need to expand the boxes. The flat pack and strapped packing button are available for an easy installation.
Comfortable litter box
Crafted with durable canvas outer and a comfortable inner, the litter box gives a comfortable place for your cats.
Also, the sidewalls are medium-high and solid enough. You do not have to worry about spilling accidents or the like when the pets are concentrating on their business.
A bit heavy. For your reference, this little box is a bit heavier than the other two above. It makes sense at their intensive sizes. However, you might still need to consider when carrying it on your traveling trips.
Possible wears. Be careful if your cats like scratching things. This canvas travel litter box seems not scratch-free. Thus, they might be rubbed off and leaks after a while.
- Various sizes to choose
- Comfortable bed
- Foldable, but still sturdy construction
- A bit heavy in weight
- Not durable inner under frequent scratches
Looking for an intensive litter box when opening and a portable one for transportation at the same time. Can’t you? Yes, if you know this Pet Fit For Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box.
- Opening size: 16 x 12 x 5 inches
- Portable size: 8 x 5 x 2 inches
- Capacity: Hold for 4 – 5 lbs of litter
- Accessory: Collapsible water bowl (also a food bowl)
What to expect from this litter box?
- Waterproof poly-plastic inside and durable nylon outside
- Foldable to carry around when needed
- Along with snaps and strap to store it compactly when not in use
- Easy-to-clean bed. An only damp cloth and simple wipes will do
What consumers praise this box for:
Extra large size
At the very first look, you will find this Pet Fit For Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box extensive and comfortable. And, you are right. Two medium-sized cats can fit comfortably inside the box.
A cat carrier litter box combo
More excitingly, you can use this large enclosed litter box as the best cat carrier for long-distance car travel to bring your cats out. There are two mesh windows, thus, your pet can breathe easily and even look outside.
Besides, a foldable water bowl is gifted with the package. Then, you do not have to worry about your cats because they are staying warm and fuzzy, and being fed.
As we stated right above, the litter box is waterproof poly-plastic inside and durable nylon outside. These materials are super soft and comfortable, meanwhile, durable at the same time.
They are also easy to clean and maintainable.
What consumers annoyingly report:
Hard to fold. The litter box is collapsible – we confirmed. However, you might have to struggle a bit. We guess it is because of the large size and sturdy construction. Anyway, it is not truly a fault, just a small complaint.
A bit heavy. You have to trade off – a large space for your pets means a bit heavy construction at the same time, especially when there is litter on the side of the box.
- Extensive little box
- Collapsible design
- Versatile – a little box and cat travel carrier
- Comfortable materials
- Hard to fold
All in all, Petpeppy.com Portable Cat Litter Carrier is crafted with nylon canvas, along with a water-resistant coating. Moreover, this bag has a zipped cover.
- Unfolded size: 16.0 x 12.0 x 5 inches
- Folded size: 8 x 5 x 1 inches
- Capacity: Hold for 4 – 5 lbs of litter
- Recommended for: snacks, medicine, cats, and treats – for long voyages
What to expect from this litter box?
- Waterproof and lightweight nylon canvas
- Foldable and portable construction into a wallet
- Zipped closed from the top to prevent spilling and odors
- Foldable and easy-to-clean materials
- Travellable in every vehicle, whether in an RV or camper
Portable travel litter box
The outer canvas is durable and lightweight, as well as built to last. The inner poly-plastic surface is smooth and comfortable.
The sidewalls are 5 inches high – better than other enclosed litter box furniture, making it one of the best-in-class boxes. It can stay firm even when your cats are big or naughty.
The sealable zipper is included to ensure no leaks or odors, even after the cats complete their business. It also helps with transportation. No worries about making a mess.
The company promises that the Petpeppy.com Portable Cat Litter Carrier will meet 100% of customers’ satisfaction. Even better, they back up their product with a 1-year warranty.
Only one size and color. If there is one thing to complain about, then it is the size and shape. The quality is good, but somewhat abundant when you have small or medium cats.
Besides the size, the price is also more expensive than other boxes. Thus, you should consider your demands and budget carefully. Otherwise, you can consider some options on the list.
- Extensive space
- Zipper top to secure the litter and the odor
- Durable and clean materials
- 1-year warranty
- Only one color and size available
This petisfam Sturdy Cat Travel Litter Box looks exactly like portable luggage. Interestingly enough, it can also be used to carry stuff other than being a litter box.
- Dimensions: 16 x 12 x 4.5 inches
- Uses: Suitable for almost every cat from kittens to Tomcats
- Construction: Carriable handle on the top
- Transports: Fit well in the car back, seat, or kennel
- Recommended for: Bring along with cats upon traveling trips, snacks, medicine, or treats storage
- Accessories: litter scoop and a collapsible bowl
What to expect from this litter box?
- Reusable liner to save money and ecosystem
- Along with a zipper lid and handle
- A sturdy box thanks to 4 panel-inserted sides
The sturdiest design
Featuring a well-sized space, this pet litter box is one of the largest and most reliable boxes for cats of any size. Plus, the box comes with an innovative design, which improves the overall performance of the litter box.
Accordingly, the box is ultra-lightweight and optimized portable even though it is big.
Ease of installation
This model works out of the box without any assembly requirements. Even more, there is a zipper lid to trap all litter and odor inside the box. Thus, you can bring this box along in the train or plane with no fear of bothering other passengers.
Such a secure construction also makes the box available for snacks, medicine, or other things. Just for your note, do not luggage too many heavy things. Otherwise, it might damage the box.
Easy to clean
The 4-side panels not only help improve the sturdy construction but also relieve the cleaning process. You can clean this litter box with a hand wash using a damp cloth.
Hard to fold. The good thing is that the petisfam Sturdy Cat Travel Litter Box is ready to use out of the shelf. However, when it comes to folding the box, it is a little time-wasting.
Although the manufacturer gives a complete guide on how to fold the box properly, we still find it a bit tricky. Even worse, some consumers report that the closure provided is too short.
- Sturdy build
- Lightweight and portable construction
- Work out of the box – no installation required
- Cleaning relief
- Hard to fold
The Petleader Collapsible Portable Cat Litter Box is the last on the list, but definitely not the least worthy. In fact, this is a premium travel litter box that comes with a smart and comfortable design to make both you and your cat happy.
- Dimensions: 17.7 x 11 x 11 inches – large enough for every cat
- Compatible within the car trunk, on the floor, or on the camping lawn
- Accessories: Scoops, cat toys, a water bowl, and a carry bag
What to expect from this litter box?
- Oxford material with PVC lining – seamless construction and no leaks
- Double pockets allowing the cat to enter and exit with ease. It also helps with pulling out the litter box
- Zippers are in place to avoid odor leaking or spilling
Resilient nylon body and strong inner
This travel litter box is built to last, to which the manufacturer gets a big fan club for its products.
Accordingly, the inner and outer surface is built with the water-free 600D Oxford fabric, plus with the PVC lining. For that reason, you can expect this box to be soft, dry-well, and also breathable.
The most exciting feature of this travel litter box is the multiple pockets. You can put your cat inside the box, pull the zippered lid and open the skylight on the top so that the pet can jump in and out without causing a mess.
When it is time to clean things, just pull out the box and make use of the scooper included.
A great deal for the price
At first, you might think that this litter box is far more expensive than other choices we mentioned right above. Nonetheless, as you figure out the fact that, there is a bunch of accessories coming with the package, you know that you save your money!
To be specific, you will receive a random scooper, the toy, and even the reusable liner.
What to improve?
We wish the sidewalls to be a bit higher. The inner space is wide enough for almost every cat. However, the case is not ideally tall so the cat can walk freely inside and get comfortable.
- Innovative and sturdy design
- Two pockets available
- Affordable thinking of the accessories included
- A bit low
FAQs of Travel Litter Box
1. How long can a cat go without a litter box?
Although we always recommend preparing a travel litter box – available for sudden transportation, however, your cat might not need it. For your information, most cats can hold themselves from relieving within 24 or 48 hours, even after having their meals as normal.
However, do not break such a limit. Otherwise, your lovely pet can suffer from serious sickness because of the built-up toxins. If you are planning to take a short tour with your cat and the luggage is enough, then no need to bring along the litter box.
2. Will a cat use a litter box without litter?
Theoretically, she can, despite being uncomfortable, more or less. Moreover, you usually have to train your cat in advance. Or, find other things to the litter. Accordingly, when you forget the litter or all clean litter is no longer available, take these things instead. They are cheap litter tray alternatives.
#1: Junk mail or shred newspaper
- Readily available almost everywhere
- Natural feeling for cats
- Easy to disposal, exchange, and transport
- Run out pretty soon
- Can’t hold up the smell
How to use paper for cats:
- Shred pieces of mail or newspaper as long and thin as possible
- Soak the pieces with dish soap or hand soap (if any) and in warm water. If can, soak the mixture for some time to get rid of all the ink
- Drain the water and place into the box litter
- Cats are naturally inclined to sand, for sure
- Sand has a good clumping ability
- Sand dries quickly and is easy to clean up
- Sands can trap odors as well
- Not available everywhere
- Easy tracking to the paws
How to use:
- Simply, remove all the strange particles from the sand
- Pour the clean sand into the litter box
- Sprinkle some baking soda to improve the odor control
#3: Potting soil
At the destination, to be specific – the hotel, you can ask the receptionist for some potting soil.
- Available almost everywhere
- Cats love the texture of the soil by their nature
- Free to use
- Dirt tracking to the paws and your room
- Soil does not clump very well
- The soil might include unhealthy pollutants
How to use:
Like sand, you must clear up any possible strange subjects and place the sand into the litter box.
3. How do you travel with a cat litter box?
Now that you have already considered all alternatives and your cats’ conditions, then you decide to take the litter box along. Your cats will thank you!
However, you might find it challenging to transport the tool around. Here are some tips to save your life:
First off, take the means of transportation in mind. If you are moving in a car, the litter box will be no big deal. Nonetheless, if you take a train or a plane, you must read the requirements carefully to figure out the limitation for the luggage or whether you are allowed to go with your cats.
Secondly, choose one among the best portable litter boxes we recommend you above. The manufacturer often includes a bag or box in the package for easy transportation.
4. Can I take cat litter on a plane?
It depends on the rules and regulations of specific airlines, areas, states, and countries. Thus, you should always contact the airline to get an exact answer.
Also, think about your cat first!
Have they ever taken a plane or some similar experiences before? Are they well-travelers who feel comfortable during the flight?
If all answers are “Yes” then you can simply buy a portable cat carrier, leave space in your luggage for the litter box and one to several portable cat litter.
5. How to clean the litter box on the plane or train?
Imagine that your cat can’t help herself but doing her duty in the middle of the transportation. The box and cat litter are ready. However, you might not be able to rest assured.
The waste odor might cause annoyance for other passengers. As a result, you just wish to clean the box as soon as possible.
Then, consider some types of the travel litter box, as follows:
- The portable box: Easy to take around but not good at odor-controlling
- The disposal box: The disposable cat litter box for travel is excellent at controlling odor and sanitation. When the cat completes her duty, you can simply throw the box into a dustbin. The problem is, you must prepare several boxes at hand.
- The self-cleaning box: They are costly but lucrative. You do not have to scoop the litter out every single time your cat finishes her duty, yet the box can still control the odor and be comfortable for cats.
Above is the list of the best travel litter box choices to ensure that your pets will share a good time outdoors with you. Of all the product reviews, we would pick up the Petsfit Fabric Portable/Foldable Litter Box to be the winner of the roundup.
For good reason:
- An affordable price tag
- Two flexible sizes to meet your demands
- Foldable construction to transport in almost every vehicle
- A tide black design which is easy to install and use
- Water-resistance to enhance the durability and fasten the cleaning
- Most importantly, it creates a comfortable space for your cats even when they need to do their business on traveling.
Have you known any other best travel litter box? If so, feel free to share it with us!