The best natural cat litter will help your kitty to avoid suffering from the added unnatural scents, or worse, he must have ingested some toxic granules of his current litter. We certainly want to avoid that! Without a doubt, we only want the healthiest and the safest natural cat litter for our beloved cat kids.
Check out the factors we have considered and see for yourself how this litter could also be your cat’s best pick.
What’s the Best Natural Cat Litter in 2021?
- Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Household Quick-Clumping Natural Litter
- Purina Tidy Cats Pure Nature Clumping Cat Litter
- sWheat Scoop Premium+ All-Natural Cat Litter
- Nature’s Miracle Premium Clumping Corn Cob Litter Tough Odor Formula
- KAMY’s ZOO I AM TOFU – Tofu Cat Litter, Natural Flushable Clumping Pellet Litter
Our Experts Reviews of 5 Natural Cat Litter
In the previous article, we mentioned ARM & HAMMER Naturals Cat Litter, Multi-Cat is one of the best cat litter for natural material.
Made from the fibrous material of the walnut shell, the Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Household Quick-Clumping Litter is true to its name. It’s all-natural and 100% biodegradable. Moreover, the walnuts used in this Naturally Fresh Cat Litter are non-GMO modified. Instead, they’ve been certified as sustainably-grown, as they have been carefully homegrown in the U.S.A.
In other words, this Naturally Fresh litter is an organic cat litter and is thus really safe for our beloved kittens. In fact, it’s also annually renewable, which means it only takes about a year for this litter to fully decompose so that it can be used by nature again.
And, since it has no harmful ingredients, this litter would have been really helpful to our cat who always suffered from ingesting litter whenever he cleans up his paws.
Worried about inhaling cat litter dust? That has been the least of our problems with the Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Litter’s dust-free formula. If, in any case, you encounter dust, it’s non-toxic dust anyway. What’s important is that this litter doesn’t stick to your cat’s paws, which means it’s also low tracking. You could save a lot of time cleaning up the house.
The great thing about the Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Clumping Litter is that the resulting odors (after your cat has relieved himself) are way better than with clay, pine, corn, and wheat litters.
This Naturally Fresh Quick-Clumping Cat Litter is quite awesome in terms of urine absorption. It can absorb three times better than the leading clay litter, which is excellent because it makes cleaning the litter so much easier now. This feature is actually one of our favorites since, as much as possible, we’d like to avoid handling messy, wet, and smelly litter and, it looks like the Naturally Fresh Litter’s super absorption feature solves all that.
Another great feature that we also like about this walnut litter is that it has an extraordinary clumping ability. Well, it forms tight clumps in as little as 15 minutes. Plus, you can quickly scoop up the clumps and freshen up the litter tray with additional litter in just a few minutes after your cat is done relieving himself.
Do you find it a little time-wasting to clean up your cat’s litter? Then, we think you’ll appreciate how the Naturally Fresh Cat Litter makes cleaning so easy.
- To clean, just use the scoop and remove the waste from the litter box.
- You can then discard it according to the regulations of your local community.
- To maintain cleanliness, we recommend removing clumps and solid waste on a daily basis.
- Then, you can add more litter into the box, filling it up to 3 inches.
Moreover, you have to clean up the whole litter box every 30 days. Be sure to sanitize the box before filling in the fresh litter up to 3 inches.
- 100% biodegradable
- Organic and non-toxic
- Uses walnuts that are non-GMO-modified
- Decomposes in about 1 year
- Best cat litter for multiple cats
- Safe for asthmatic cat owners
- Absorbs urine up to 3x better than clay litter
- Forms tight clumps within 15 minutes
- Dirt-colored, so it can be confused with the waste material
The Best All Natural Cat Litter
Made from a combination of cedar, corn, and pine, the Purina Tidy Cats Pure Nature Clumping Cat Litter is another great litter that you might want to consider. It’s quite lightweight, so you can save some energy when carrying a huge bag of this litter as a gift for your cat.
Moreover, it comes with a resealable and recyclable pouch, so it’s quite easy to store the litter and save it from any bug that otherwise gets attracted to it.
So, what is its best feature? We think it’s this litter’s outstanding ability to control odor. If you want a natural litter that keeps your house smelling fresh all day, then this might be the great natural cat litter for you.
This Tidy Cats Litter is actually guaranteed to be 99.9% dust-free, which is totally great because we can be assured our cats would have the least problems in terms of inhaling the dust. And, because of this litter’s natural absorption mechanism, it also minimizes paw-sticking, making it a low tracking litter.
The Pure Nature Cat Litter is also a naturally absorbent litter, and that’s because of its ingredients — an ingenious combination of cedar, pine, and corn. The internal structure of the wood pellets makes them absorb the liquids well. As a result, you wouldn’t have to deal with squishy, wet litter.
Anyway, we’ve experimented and found that this Pure Nature litter could hold clumps nicely for about three days. But, if you delay scooping and wait for a week, the clumps could disintegrate. So, better scoop out those clumps daily.
Pure Nature Litter is quite easy to clean. Just remember to remove the solid waste and the urine clumps daily, and refill the litter box to maintain a depth of 3 to 4 inches.
- When it’s time to replace the entire litter box, clean it using warm water and a mild detergent.
- We recommend cleaning up the whole tray every 14 days.
- Just be sure to dispose of the litter properly and avoid composting it.
- 100% biodegradable
- Combines the best characteristics of cedar, corn, and pine for odor control
- Naturally absorbent
- Easy cleanup
- Doesn’t eliminate tracking completely
- Loosely clumping
- Cedar and pine smells can be too strong
The Best Wheat-based Natural Cat Litter
Do you find it convenient to use a flushable litter? If so, then this sWheat Scoop Premium+ All-Natural Cat Litter could easily become your favorite. Made with 100% wheat, this litter is also 100% biodegradable and hence flushable. In other words, it’s safe for the environment, and it’s definitely a non-toxic cat litter.
Now here’s just an interesting side note: produced by Pet Care Systems in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, this sWheat Scoop litter was not tested on actual animals. Instead, they tested it on simulated urine.
This could mean that different cats may have different responses to this cat litter: our cats may like it while yours may not, but you will never know if you never try it out.
sWheat Scoop Premium All+ Natural Cat Litter virtually dust-free, and it also doesn’t have dyes or any of the harmful ingredients that you typically find in clay litter. In other words, this sWheat Scoop litter could easily be the safest natural cat litter that you can let your cat use.
Worried about tracking and follow-up cleanups for messy cat paws? This sWheat Scoop litter offers a huge help by manufacturing a litter that has twice the efficiency of other litters in terms of keeping those cat paws and your floor clean.
Almost everything about this all-natural cat litter is twice as efficient as other litters. In terms of clumping, it also has 2x stronger clumping compared to its fast-clumping version for easy scooping.
One of the features we appreciate most about this cat litter is its powerful mechanism for odor control. In fact, it’s 2x more powerful than most litters, which is such a breakthrough in odor elimination.
To keep this litter in its best condition, you only need to store it in a cool, dry place. It’s a clumping litter, by the way, so scooping and cleaning should not be a problem.
Meanwhile, if you want to clean up used litter, you can just break the clumps into small pieces and let them soak in the toilet bowl before flushing. Ain’t that hassle-free?
- 100% biodegradable
- Environment-safe and non-toxic
- Clumping quickly
- Controls odor 2x better than other litters, one of the best cat litter for odor control
- Clumps 2x stronger than its fast-clumping version
- Prevents litter tracking 2x better than others
- Needs to be stored in a cool, dry place
- Contains gluten, which could be allergic to cats
The Best Corn-based Natural Cat Litter
Made of corn cob, this Nature’s Miracle Premium Clumping Corn Cob Litter has a satisfying odor formula. And, as you would expect from all types of natural cat litter, it’s definitely biodegradable and hence, eco-friendly.
If you’re looking for a corn-based natural litter that has a fast-clumping formula and is 99.9% dust-free, then this may be the natural cat litter for you.
With a tough odor formula that fights off smelly cat waste, this Nature’s Miracle litter solves most of your odor problems around the house. In fact, its odor-removing ingredients have been trusted for 30 years now. The litter is basically unscented, so if you or your cat has a sensitivity to scents, this corn-based litter might be the right choice for you.
Tired of cleaning up your kitty’s litter box? You’re not alone. This Nature’s Miracle Premium Clumping Corn Cob Litter makes the job so much easier for you.
- First of all, this litter clumps great, so you only have to scoop out those clumps daily.
- Secondly, just refill the litter tray up to 3 to 4 inches after your daily cleanups.
- You can then stir the litter around after scooping. By doing so, you are ensuring maximum freshness and odor control.
Finally, change the entire litter every two weeks (or when the litter becomes saturated) and be sure to disinfect and dry the tray completely before filling it with a fresh batch of the litter. Just wash the tray with warm water and mild unscented soap.
- 100% biodegradable
- 99.99% dust-free
- Fast-clumping formula
- Unscented, work well for sensitives cats
- Clumping quickly
- Has gluten, which is a cat allergen
- Not suitable for kittens below 6 months of age
The Best Tofu-based Natural Cat Litter
So, how about a tofu-based litter that’s eco-friendly, hard clumping, and is safe to flush? Well, if you’re such a fan of tofu, you might want to consider the I AM TOFU Cat Litter as your best pick.
Obviously, this litter is made of tofu but it also has an added corn starch. The resulting thin pellets are all safe to flush. Plus, this litter doesn’t have any synthetic additives and chemicals and is non-clay — making it one of the safest natural cat litter products you can find on the market right now.
The I AM TOFU Eco-Friendly Tofu Cat Litter comes in one of three scents:
- Honey peach
- Green tea
Both honey peach and green tea are mild smells and are good for masking waste odors, so there shouldn’t be a problem unless your cat is unusually sensitive to any type of additional scent. It could be great though if you can experiment on your cat and let him choose his preferred scent.
What we love most about this litter aside from being all-natural is that it’s excellent at clumping. In fact, it absorbs cat urine in a few seconds and forms clumps within a few minutes.
The I AM TOFU litter also offers a great value for money. If you’re a cost-saver, we bet you’ll appreciate the fact that a 6 lb pack of this tofu-based litter can last for as long as 4 to 6 weeks for one cat.
Since the I AM TOFU litter has an excellent clumping formula, cleaning up by scooping can just be a breeze.
- After the clumps have formed, you can immediately scoop them out of the litter box.
- Simply dispose of them into a trash bin or flush them at the toilet, just be sure you’re flushing only in small batches.
To avoid decreasing the coagulation efficiency of this cat litter, make sure you’re storing it in a cool, dry place. Also, don’t forget to wash your hands carefully after cleaning up the litter.
Moreover, when it’s time to replace the litter box (usually every two weeks), disinfect it with warm water and mild soap, and then fill it with 2 – 2.7 inches of fresh litter.
- Biodegradable and eco-friendly
- Safe to flush
- No synthetic chemicals and additives
- Absorbs urine up to 4x their weight
- 99% dust-free
- Can’t be used with a self-washing litter box
- Can clog the toilet if flushed all at once
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the Benefits of Natural Cat Litter?
We love natural cat litters so much because they are safe for our beloved kittens. As ASPCA notes, kittens sometimes eat cat litter by accident. That fact certainly worries us. But, if we use a natural cat litter, litter ingestion is going to be the least of our problems. In fact, natural cat litter is so much safer than clay litter. And, as much as it is great for our cat’s health, it’s also friendly to the environment.
Moreover, natural cat litters minimize clay dust effectively, which is really beneficial since we don’t want to inhale litter dust and get asthma as a result.
So, what’s the common reason? We think it’s probably because of the typical cost of a natural cat litter. Yes, it can be quite costly! But, in spite of being costly, natural cat litters pull customers out of the money they might otherwise have to pay in case their cats got sick from ingesting toxic cat litter.
In other words, natural cat litters can still save you the money that would otherwise fall into your cat’s treatment. Plus, natural litters could help save the environment as well as the money that would have been used for repairing environmental damage.
How many Types of All Natural Cat Litter exist?
Currently, you already have a wide range of natural cat litter options to choose from. We’ve listed them down below, along with their advantages and disadvantages.
- Corn-based litter is absorbent and biodegradable. Moreover, it provides natural odor control. One of the outstanding cat litter brands made from corn is the World’s best cat litter
- Corn is actually a problem ingredient for cats with gluten allergic. Most felines will ingest litter while cleaning up their paws, so it might not be safe to use corn-based litters.
- Made from ground wheat, wheat litter is biodegradable and provides natural odor control. It also clumps well, is less dusty, and is low tracking.
- Wheat might not be the safest ingredient for cats with gluten allergic.
- Grass-based litters have good clumping ability, especially the fine-grained ones. They naturally control odor and are biodegradable.
- Some grass-based litters have not yet perfected their odor-control formula, so they could stink. They can be prone to tracking as well.
4. Coconut shell
- Coconut shell litters have no odors whatsoever. In other words, they’re odorless and can be great for cats that prefer to use unscented litters. This is healthiest and best cat litter for kittens.
- These litters may have an inferior odor control mechanism in comparison to pine litter.
- Aside from being 100% biodegradable, tofu-based cat litters have a great clumping feature. They also absorb cat urine quite well and have a natural ability to control odor.
- Some tofu-based litters don’t clump as well as others. The clumps could form, but they can get mushy.
6. Wood fiber
- A lot of wood fiber litters are dust-free. Some variants also exhibit a good clumping ability. Of course, they’re also biodegradable.
- Some wood fiber litters don’t have a super-efficient odor control mechanism and leave a few sawdust on cat paws and the carpet
7. Recycled Paper
- A natural paper pellet cat litter is usually lightweight and exhibits an excellent ability to absorb urine. It’s a great choice for anyone who loves to reduce their carbon footprint.
- With some recycled paper litters, a cat’s pee can leach through the litter so that you could end up throwing more pellets than you would have needed to.
8. Tea Potty
- A tea potty litter can be flushed down the toilet since they’re biodegradable and eco-friendly. This litter usually has low dust and a fresh smell because of its main ingredient — which usually is green tea.
- Tea potty litters may not clump very well, so they may not be easy to scoop and clean up.
9. Walnut shell
- Walnut shells are fibrous materials and hence, they can absorb urine along with its odor. They’re also biodegradable, renewable, and long-lasting.
- Some walnut-based litter may produce a cloud of dust, especially if they have not been kept fresh according to the recommended storage instructions.
1. Is natural cat litter bad for the environment?
Actually, it’s the opposite. Natural cat litters are environment-friendly since most of them are biodegradable and renewable. Some litters are even flushable. You only have to be careful about flushing them such that they don’t clog your toilet and cause problems in your pipes. On the other hand, clay litters are non-renewable and non-biodegradable. They fill in the landfills and can be among the top waste matter that damage the environment.
2. Is Pine litter safe for Cats?
The short answer is yes, they’re considered safe for cats and even for kittens. While some evergreens are potentially dangerous to your kitties, not all types of pine trees are poisonous. In fact, in most litters, the ingredients have been carefully processed in order to ensure that the resulting litter is non-toxic.
At long last, we’re now down to declaring our pick for the wonderful natural cat litter. It’s none other than the Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Household Quick-Clumping Litter!
Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Quick-Clumping Cat Litter
Allow us to recap our reasons.
- It’s all-natural, non-toxic, and 100% biodegradable.
- This litter is safe for you, for your cat, and for the environment.
- It has a natural odor control mechanism that doesn’t hurt your cat’s lungs.
- It’s dust free and low tracking.
- It has an extraordinary clumping ability which makes scooping and cleaning so easy.
- This walnut-based litter absorbs urine up to 3x better than the leading clay litter.
With all these amazing features of the best natural cat litter in 2021, the Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Quick-Clumping Cat Litter is such a clear winner. We think your cat will love it a lot, too!
- What’s the Best Natural Cat Litter in 2021?
- Our Experts Reviews of 5 Natural Cat Litter
- #1: Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Household Quick-Clumping Litter
- #2: Purina Tidy Cats Pure Nature Clumping Cat Litter
- #3: sWheat Scoop Premium+ All-Natural Cat Litter
- #4:Nature’s Miracle Premium Clumping Corn Cob Litter Tough Odor Formula
- #5: KAMY’s ZOO I AM TOFU – Tofu Cat Litter, Natural Flushable Clumping Pellet Litter
- What are the Benefits of Natural Cat Litter?
- How many Types of All Natural Cat Litter exist?